‘One of Canada's premiere songwriters. With a voice like a clarion call she's one of our premiere singers, too.’—Judith Lynch, CBC’s First Play
Colleen Brown’s 8th full-length recording, Winging It is a collection of self penned/produced tracks that take on the topics of solitude and mortality, with a moderate dose of romantic optimism. It is out to radio now but will be released officially on Flatcar Records/Fontana North on Oct 7, 2022.
Brown is a multi-instrumentalist singer-songwriter on a mission - looking for beauty in the darker corners of human existence. With versatile songwriting and a vulnerable authenticity, she weaves elements of folk, roots, Americana, and pop into a sublime, striking blend.
Brown’s previous studio full-length Direction, co-produced by Joel Plaskett, saw her topping Canadian college radio charts, achieving rotation on CBC, and touring at home, in Germany, and in the U.K. Her song “I Can’t Wrap My Heart Around It,” recorded with her rock band Major Love, earned a placement in the CBC-TV program Burden Of Truth. Major Love also performed a CBC Music First Play Live and had two singles in the CBC Radio 2 Top 20, “Tear It Down” and “So Good.” Their eponymous album spent 13 weeks on the Canadian College Radio Top 50 charts.
In 2020, Brown wrote and recorded one song per week (throughout early lockdowns) and turned out an album of eclectic home-studio jams that became Isolation Songs, and a Christmas EP entitled Home.
Brown has opened for household names like Randy Newman, Don McLean, Jim Cuddy, Rufus Wainwright, Frank Black, Whitehorse, Kathleen Edwards - and is a fixture on the Canadian folk festival circuit both solo and with Major Love.
'The talents of this Edmonton-based vocalist shine like a beacon. Her boldly written originals...have the good bones and great melodic rhythm of classic big-screen pop songs" -Robert Everett-Green, The Globe & Mail
- Winging It (Oct 7, 2022) on Flatcar Records (Fontana North)
- Home (Christmas EP, Dec 2021) on Flatcar Records (Fontana North)
- Isolation Songs (Nov 2020) on Flatcar Records (Fontana North)
- MAJOR LOVE - Self titled (Aug 24, 2018) on Latent Recordings (Warner Distro)
- Seasons Are Circling EP (Nov 2016) independent limited release
- Direction (March 2015) independent release
- Direction 1: Major Love EP (Feb 2014) independent release
- Colleen Brown’s DIRT (2012) independent release
- Foot In Heart (2010) re-issue on Dead Daisy Records/Outside Music Distro
- Foot In Heart (2008) original, independent release
- A Peculiar Thing (2004) independent release